Mama Said

“To bed, to bed, your Mama said…”


My Mom said that every night for as long as I remember. Kevin, David and I could count on bedtime dragging out for at least 30 minutes longer between another drink of water, or, “I’m hungry,” or, “I’m scared,” or “Tell us about when you…” And during the drag-out, she’d sing-song her Mama phrase between drinks, and extra prayers, and another story about when she was little, you know… when the dinosaurs lived.

“To bed, to bed, your Mama said…” through thousands of bedtimes. Brothers and I would laugh at the ending every time. And my daughter did, and her granddaughter does too. It’s a tradition that has lived beyond its intention.

And the grandkids will pass it on to another generation or two. “To bed, to bed, your Mama said…before she makes your hiney red!”

“Mama, what’s a hiney?”

No comments: