Be Safe Not Sorry

I exposed a good friend to identity theft, and I’m mortified that the consequences could be enormous. I lost a check she wrote and it somehow appeared in Park City in the hands of someone named Gary. Gary left his first name on my friend’s answering machine, but didn’t leave a phone number. Hopefully he is honest. But in the mean time, while she and I are both sweating what the ultimate cost will be, her account information is out in the wild.

With all the security practices I follow at work and with my own identity, I ask myself, “What was I thinking!” This mindless action on my part could ruin her good credit and her life for the next few years – not to mention her trust and friendship. She has stopped payment and will need to open a new account at her credit union. I’ve learned that my shirt pocket is not the place for personal financial information.

No comments: