Resolutions

Oh, jeez. It’s time for those dreaded resolutions. I’m determined to keep mine this year so I set my goals low. I know I won’t loose weight or become Corporate Vice President. I won’t buy a new car or house. And I won’t be changing my hair color or have a clean desk. I can barely remember from day to day what it was I resolved to accomplish, so I jotted down my “Want To Do” list. If I accomplish five percent of the list, I think my life will be richer and fuller.

What I really want to do is: Write poetry. Ski. Watch baseball. Impress someone, just once, when it really counts. Watch birds. Enjoy snow. Catch fish. Play More. Charge less. Say I love you. Pet my dog. Donate a smile. Invest. See the sun rise. Enjoy Oreos. Buy gas earlier. Join in. Wear purple. Stop at lemonade stands. Be diplomatic. Laugh at my childhood. Write my Legislator. Thank my children. Ride fast. Be passionate. Inspire someone, anyone. Color. Edit less. Speak up. Call Grandma.

Your list is probably more profound; more organized; certainly more meaningful to you. Whether your days are filled with teaching, lobbying, managing, or retiring, I hope your new year begins with a little list-making and personal enjoyment.

No comments: