Fowl Gifts

I hope you love Spring as much as I do. Aside from the trite expressions about Spring being rejuvinating, a time for renewal, refreshing – it’s a great time to support our local bird population. My Mom taught me a gracious act of giving to our fowl friends when I was a little girl. We sat on the back porch, Mom on the top step, me on the next sitting between her legs talking about important 6-year-old things while she combed my waist-length hair. With each brush stroke, she pulled the loose strands from the brush and released them into the breeze. The result a couple days later were neighborhood bird nests woven with long, fine strands of Kelly’s white hair.

I passed down the tradition to my daughter -- twenty years later, new neighborhood birdlings were cradled in nests with long, fine stands of Kristin’s white hair.

No comments: