Summer Vacation

The first class of my first day of college at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning was English 110. At age 18 I knew everything, and was bound for literary infamy. I expected college to change my world into a mega-series of profound, meaningful moments. So when the first sentence from the English professor’s mouth wasn’t weighed with insightful philosophy, I was vilely disgusted.

“I want you to write an essay,” she said, “titled, ‘What I did on my Summer Vacation.’”

I walked out, and didn’t go back for ten years. Wisdom eventually came and I’ve learned that the simple things are what makes the complicated things endurable, so I want to share what I did this summer with the world.

I ate Philly steak at Fenway ▪ Planted strawberries ▪ Toured vineyards with my daughter ▪ Laughed to tears ▪ Ate Sunday brunch on a mountain ▪ Said thank you and good-bye to Orr ▪ Kissed my nephew ▪ Sat on the Grassy Knoll ▪ Volunteered ▪ Went to VA, KY, TX, DC, CA, MD, MA, IL, WY, NV, AL (twice), GA (thrice) ▪ Loved ▪ Worked full-time ▪ Fished ▪ Made a new friend ▪ Wrote that essay.

No comments: