diversity4um

I met a new friend that I hope to keep for a very long time. She could be me, or I her, if it wasn’t for the geography and the timing of our births. She’s different but I didn’t notice at first.
I have a long-time friend with whom I’ve shared profound thoughts about His Holiness the Dali Lama, death and internment camps. He’s different, but I’ve forgotten that he is.

And another, that can design the most amazing art. She came from a place far away from my home and my culture, but I didn’t realize how far until just last week.

Dave asked me to be a charter member in his Diversity Forum. We meet over a lunch of cheese fries every couple of weeks to discuss Us and what really matters. I wondered why he chose me. I’m blond, 5’6”, 130 lbs, and have no distinguishing tattoos. I work and play and love just like everyone else. I’ve contemplated all my unique features and found several that could be “diverse” if I were to label them, but prefer not to. What I’ve found is that the more I look at the Yous around me, the more I find the Me in everyone.

No comments: