Going Home

I met Isabel on a business trip. She was on the second of a three-leg trip from coast-to-coast and was pacing the aisle to relieve boredom. The flight attendant introduced us because she knew we would find something in common. Isabel was headed home to Apple-Something, Washington with her life-long friend, Bunny.

In that short conversation somewhere over Nebraska, I found wisdom and profound clarity in her simple answer, “Home,” when I asked where she lived. I thought about it for the next thousand miles and at the depth of my soul I wished I were home but I also knew that home was within me too.

Isabel slid off my lap when I finished mending her ragged, but precious friend’s half-stuffed leg. Her eyes blinked a yawn and the last thing the wise two-and-a-half year old said to me was, “Sleep.” I’m still not sure if it was a command or a blessing.

No comments: