In a pinch? Dial JCU

A credit union member recently decided to take a quick minute on her lunch hour to wash her car. There she sat enjoying the clean sound of spray and the gentle rock as the automatic brushes rolled over the car.

“I got through the undercarriage wash, the pre-wash, and the suds . . . then everything quit. The rinse cycle didn't happen, and the big entry and exit doors closed.

“What does one think when trapped inside the carwash? ‘These walls are pretty thick, I wonder if anyone can hear if I pound on one of the doors and yell help; but if I get out of the car and the water comes on, what then? Maybe if I honk the horn, someone will hear and let me out; will they have to use heavy equipment to get the doors open? I told myself to stay calm, then turned on the radio. Ok, so NPR is rather soothing…Bach, that's good. Think, think, think.’”
She tried dialing 911 from her cell phone…wouldn’t go through…concrete walls too thick?

Apparently 911 was at lunch too.

“I couldn't remember any phone numbers except the telephone teller access at the Credit Union.”

It’s ironic what we remember when we need help. She didn’t call the credit union, but I’m sure she could have opted out to the operator who would have happily called the gas station attendant to rescue her. Her co-worker made the call instead.

“Bach continued, and after a while, the doors came up, the dryer came down, and I drove my suds encrusted car out of the carwash.”

566-8402. Once again, repeat after me, 566-8402.

No comments: